1. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    To attract a new generation of sophisticates, the Metropolitan Opera has a new series, Fridays Under 40, that offers tickets to people under 40 for $60 and $100. Curtain time is also pushed back to 8 p.m., to accommodate later work hours. On March 18, a performance of Donizetti's "Don Pasquale" was preceded by a cocktail party hosted by Justin Vivian Bond. Young operagoers dressed up (and down) for the occasion.

  2. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Robert Bulla

    Occupation Assistant head of costumes at the Metropolitan Opera

    Age 45

    Costume or outfit?

    This is my outfit.

    Is it a Thom Browne suit?

    This is one of my favorite suits that I own. I always feel like I dress a little costumey. I'm told that's supposed to be a bad thing but I enjoy having a little more edge to it. The fit of this makes me feel good.

    If you were seeing a tragedy instead of a comedy would you wear something more formal?

    Yeah, probably more black.

    Tell me about your contrasting shirt.

    It's Dolce & Gabbana. The bow tie is Bergdorf's. The shoes are a collaboration between Grenson and Foot the Coacher, a Japanese company who convinced Grenson to reproduce these shoes.

    And your contrasting shoes and socks?

    I kind of try to do things like that.

  3. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Laomi Li

    Occupation Makeup artist

    Age 28

    Are you dressed up?

    Being a young individual coming from a small town in Kentucky, you think of New York and you think of opera and glamour. That's kind of what I thought of tonight: something that as soon as I walk into the building I have eyes on me.

    Tell me about this dress. So many sequins.

    Right? It is a disco-sequined, fish scale-laid train, mermaid bottom, with AB stones added to the top to make a necklace. And then, of course, we finish it off with some AB stones for earrings and bracelet.

    Who made it?

    My designer, Terri Vanessa Coleman.

    What are you wearing on your feet?

    Just heels. They're not designer or anything, just something that was comfortable.

    What do you know about the opera you're seeing tonight?

    I know it's been around for a long time. I know he's going to be doing an encore, and I've heard the tenor is amazing.

  4. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Sam Gonzalez

    Occupation Student at Hunter College

    Age 21

    What brings you here tonight?

    My girlfriend and I just grabbed tickets. She's an opera singer in training. We come every two weeks or so.

    Tell me about the suspenders.

    They were an afterthought. The whole outfit is Bonobos, a men's clothing company I work for. The clothing is pretty basic: chinos and a button-down. And the suspenders I just picked up on my way here.

    Do you dress up when you go to the opera?

    Usually it's a tie-and-shirt type of deal. This is my first time wearing something that is not a dress shirt and slacks.

    Why didn't you dress up this time?

    To be honest, I don't know.

  5. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Jeremy Gender

    Occupation Airbnb host in Gowanus, Brooklyn

    Age 33

    I like your glasses.

    Apparently I'm chic. They're Moscot, in Carroll Gardens. I like the wide field of vision, mix of colors and goes with everything.

    And what about this little sailor's top?

    It was a rescue from a lost and found from an event I was managing.

    So you stole it.

    I stole it from somebody who didn't want it.

    Are you wearing jeans?

    Yeah, just some casual jeans from Brooklyn Industries.

    And your shoes?

    That's United Nude. They're just real cute, yo. They look like they're alligator skin, but they're vegetarian.

  6. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Heenal Patel

    Occupation Health care consultant

    Age 27

    What are you seeing tonight?

    I don't actually know the opera. I know it's a comedy. I came here with my friends.

    Your dress is lovely.

    I got this on Gilt a few years ago, and I just kept it in my closet. I don't wear it out normally because of the beaded back detail, but tonight was the perfect occasion. Not too fancy, like a ball gown, so after the Met if I want to go out for drinks, it's appropriate.

    How about your shoes?

    These are Stuart Weitzman. They're really comfortable, because they have a heeled front. So they're my go-to.

    And your bag?

    It's Michael Kors. I got it a while ago from Nordstrom.

  7. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Robert Michael Johnson

    Occupation Actor

    Age 45

    Tell me about the shoes.

    They're older than I am. They're probably 1968 or so. Michael Cerrano, I believe. They were gifted to me by an old friend and I don't get to wear them very often. Because Justin Vivian Bond was here, I thought it was a good excuse to wear some heels and glam up the evening.

    You've matched your jacket with the print on your pants and your tie.

    The pants are Penguin and the tie is no-name.

    Were you worried that you might blend into the walls?

    I didn't even think about that. I did see someone else with this jacket.

    Did you fight him?

    It was awful, because he wore it better than I did.

  8. Photo

    Credit Ike Edeani for The New York Times

    Carter Somerville

    Occupation Graduate student

    Age 28

    Your pocket square is folded so tightly, it could be your program or invite.

    I was going to wear a white shirt and wear the pocket square to match it. But I was in a rush and didn't have time to iron the white shirt, so I changed to a blue shirt.

    You're a grad student, all you have is time.

    Just the opposite. I just left my lab. I had dead mice splayed all over my lab bench, and I had to literally run down the sidewalk to catch the Long Island Railroad from Bayside.

    You come in all the way from Queens to see the opera?

    Yes. I am not really an opera person, and I'm trying to learn more about it, because I will leave New York at some point, and I want to take advantage of the things that New York has to offer.

    You're dressed classic preppy. Is that accurate?

    I actually chose it to be a little more casual. Most of this is not very expensive stuff. The jacket is H&M. The shirt, probably Macy's or Uniqlo.

    What about your crisp khakis?

    I have no idea. I've had these for a while. I never wear any of these clothes unless I'm doing fancy things.